Sex toys. Some I love, some I hate, and I’m very fucking opinionated about it all. I’m also very fucking picky. The longer I review items, the pickier I get, it seems. In the beginning I was more forgiving and assumed that Lelo or whatever weren’t bad toys – my clitoris was just a problem child. And while that still remains true, I tend to expect a lot from sex toys deemed “luxury” with their luxury price tags of $75-$200. My opinions have changed a lot on items that I reviewed in 2008 or 2009 – I might not have the time to go back and update the post, but you can certainly email me and ask my opinion if you’re considering buying that item.
Some other important posts that are not reviews, but contain very vital and useful information on sex toys:
Sex Toy Material & Safety Guides
- Yes, Jelly Sex Toys can be Dangerous
- Melted Sex Toys
- Sex Toy Journalism: Bringing Toxic Sex Toy Facts Out of the Attic
- “For Novelty Use Only” Part 1
- “For Novelty Use Only” Part 2
- Dildology: The Science of Sex Toys
- The Ultimate Guide to Silicone Sex Toys
- Flame Testing Silicone Sex Toys for material purity
- Non-Monogamy and Sex Toys – Safe Sharing Tips
- A Guide to Glass Sex Toys
- How Do I Know if a Sex Toy has phthalates in it?
- Are Vibrators Dangerous?
- My Sex Toy Stinks – What Should I Do?
- Sex toys & batteries
- Sex Toys and Body Size
Sex Toy Intro/Beginners Guides
- Beginners Guide to Choosing a Dildo
- How to Buy Sex Toys Online
- Sex Toy Gift Buying Guide
- The Carrot is NOT a Dildo!
- Beginners Guide to Anal Sex Toys
- Guide to Remote Control Sex Toys
Best & Worst Picks
- The Best and Worst Sex Toys of 2011
- The Best and Worst Sex toys of 2012
- The Best and Worst Sex Toys of 2013
- My picks for the all-time best sex toys
For comparative reference on the “Intensity” scale (according to my opinion and use, subject to change):
10 = Hitachi Magic Wand high, Fairy Wand (full size & electric) top speed, Wahl 2-speed electric on High
9.5 = Lelo Smart Wand Large
9= Fairy Wand Rechargeable, Mystic Wand (battery or recharge) on high, Vanity VR6 (internal arm), We-Vibe Salsa or Tango on high,
8= Climax Twist, Harmony or Black Magic Bullets on high, We-Vibe Salsa/Tango on Medium
7= Eroscillator Deluxe (the one with more intensity) on high, Lelo Mona 2, Je Joue Uma
6= Je Joue MiMi, Wahl on Low, Lelo Mona original, Lelo Smart Wand Medium,
5= Layaspot, Lelo Gigi, Leaf Spirit, We-Vibe Touch, Lelo Tiani 2, Pikobong Moka, Minna Ola, Lelo Mia 2
4= G-Ki, We Vibe 3, Extase Zenith, Zini Roae, Tantus bullets,
3= Lelo Mia (original), Lelo Insignia Isla, We Vibe 2/Original
2= Picobong Honi, Funtoys G-Vibe, Fixsation, JimmyJane Hello Touch
1=Extase Liberte, Lelo Tiani original
Intensity isn’t the only factor in the end result of giving you an orgasm. Some people respond very differently to rumbly/thuddy/deep vibrations as opposed to buzzy/surface vibrations. This factor can result in a varying perception in vibration intensity (sensitivity of the user aside). Since a vibrator with a rumbly/thuddy sensation will be felt deeper past the surface nerve endings it can feel much more powerful to many. Some manufacturers will list RPM or even Hz as some sort of guide to their vibration power – but it has nothing to do with it. It might play a big role though in determining if a vibrator will be buzzy or rumbly, to a degree. Lower RPM will feel rumbly. Combine that with a good power boost and we have a winner. Consider these RPM findings:
Hitachi Magic Wand on Low: 5000RPM
Hitachi Magic Wand on High: 6000RPM
WeVibe3 on High: 5500RPM
Wahl 2-speed on Low: 6000RPM
Wahl 2-speed on High: 3500RPM
Other pages in this section are my current list of the best toys (in my opinion only!); my Ask Lilly column of more in-depth recommendations on toys and my sex toy care and maintenance page where you can read about all the various sex toy materials and how best to clean the toys.